Cheaper home insurance - Insurance - Guides - Moneyfacts

Guides News brings you the latest financial & economic news & reviews of the best products in the UK by our team of money experts.

Cheaper home insurance

Cheaper home insurance

Category: Insurance

Updated: 20/01/2017
First Published: 13/10/2016

There are many ways by which you can get a cheaper home insurance premium, depending on your property and the contents it contains.

You may get a discount if:

  • You increase your standard policy excess. If you are willing to pay more before you need to make a claim, your insurance provider will offer you a substantial discount.

  • You buy buildings and contents insurance together. You may be offered contents insurance when you take out buildings insurance, but just because your building's insurer is suitable for your structural needs doesn't mean that they will fit your contents requirements. Buying the two together may save you money, but only do so if they cover everything you need them to.

  • You are offered an introductory discount.

  • You have a number of years of no claims discounts. The fewer claims you make, the lower your premium.

  • You have crime prevention measures installed. Fitting a burglar alarm (NACASS standard) and linking it to the police network could help to reduce your premiums.

  • Make sure you have adequate locks on all doors and windows.

  • Join a neighbourhood watch scheme.

  • Fit and maintain smoke alarms.

What next?

Still unsure of what type of home insurance to take out? Check out our guides to Contents, Buildings & Home Insurance.

Compare home insurance providers

Disclaimer: This information is intended solely to provide guidance and is not financial advice. Moneyfacts will not be liable for any loss arising from your use or reliance on this information. If you are in any doubt, Moneyfacts recommends you obtain independent financial advice.

Related Articles

Life insurance with endowment savings

An endowment is a savings plan with life insurance designed to pay a lump sum after a specified term or on death. Typical terms are 10, 15 or 20 years. Is an endowment for me?

Are your pets protected?

Pets get ill and have accidents too. Where we have the NHS to treat us; your pet doesn't. Take the strain off your finances with Pet Insurance.

What does buildings insurance cover?

Before a mortgage is granted, your lender will require you to carry out a survey of the building to allow for accurate and adequate insurance cover. Compare the market for buildings insurance quotes.