Insure your car – even if it’s off the road! - Insurance - Guides - Moneyfacts


Insure your car – even if it’s off the road!

Insure your car – even if it’s off the road!

Category: Insurance

Updated: 31/05/2016
First Published: 01/08/2013

The 'continuous insurance enforcement' rules mean that every car needs to be insured or have a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) - even if it's off the road and doesn't pay road tax.

If you haven't got car insurance for your off-road vehicle or you don't have a SORN, you'll need to get one or the other.

Why do I need to get car insurance for a car that never goes on the road?

The first thing to say is that you don't. You could apply for a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN), which means that you don't need to tax or insure your vehicle. However, it also means you can't drive it on the road.

The reason the Government has taken this step is to tackle uninsured drivers. There are an estimated 1.4 million vehicles that don't have insurance, and this is a big problem for the car insurance industry as uninsured drivers push everyone's premiums up.

The old law said that a driver had to be caught driving in order to be prosecuted as uninsured. However, now you could be prosecuted just for owning an uninsured vehicle.

What happens if I don't buy car insurance or apply for a SORN?

This isn't a wise idea.

If you are a registered driver and you do not have insurance or have not applied for a SORN you could:

  • get a fixed penalty of £80
  • have your vehicle clamped, impounded or destroyed
  • face a court prosecution, with a possible minimum fine of £1,000

And if you have to pay a fine this does not replace car insurance – you'll still need to pay this as well, or else register your car with a SORN.

What next?

Compare car insurance providers

For more information on SORN check out the website

Apply for a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN)

Disclaimer: This information is intended solely to provide guidance and is not financial advice. Moneyfacts will not be liable for any loss arising from your use or reliance on this information. If you are in any doubt, Moneyfacts recommends you obtain independent financial advice.

Related Articles

What does buildings insurance cover?

Before a mortgage is granted, your lender will require you to carry out a survey of the building to allow for accurate and adequate insurance cover. Compare the market for buildings insurance quotes.

Home Insurance Checklist

Before you choose a buildings or contents insurance policy, you should make sure that it meets your needs.

How to stay cool but vigilant this summer

5 easy steps for Home-owners to stay safe this summer, as high temperatures pose additional risks to home and vehicle security.
Save on Mortgages
Call our experts now to see how much you could save.
0800 193 6644 Lines open 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday
Phone lines are manned by Premier Financial Group Ltd who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.