Co-op losing bank account customers - Banking - News - Moneyfacts

News

Moneyfacts.co.uk News brings you the latest financial & economic news & reviews of the best products in the UK by our team of money experts.

Co-op losing bank account customers

Co-op losing bank account customers

Category: Banking

Updated: 29/11/2013
First Published: 29/11/2013

MONEYFACTS ARCHIVE
This article was correct at the time of publication. It is now over 6 months old so the content may be out of date.

The Co-operative Bank has revealed that it is losing current account customers following a number of revelations at the bank, including the arrest of its former chairman Paul Flowers over drug allegations as well as customer concerns over its ability to keep its ethical stance once its £1.5 billion rescue plan has been finalised.

In an unexpected statement sent to the London Stock Exchange yesterday, the bank said that: "Recent events may have caused some brand and reputational damage, but it is too early to form a definitive view as to the extent of such damage."

It continued that these "recent events" had come at a time of increased competition in the current account market due to the introduction of the seven-day switching guarantee, and "may be a contributing factor to an increase the bank has seen in the switching out of current accounts".

The bank has found itself in the headlines for all the wrong reasons over the last few months following the discovery in July that it was facing a £1.5 billion hole in its balance sheet.

Its first restructuring plan was then rejected by investors and bondholders, leading it to draw up a second plan that will see its parent company, The Co-operative Group, only retain 30% ownership of the bank, with the remaining 70% going to a consortium of hedge funds and investors.

This has fuelled questions over whether the bank will be able to stick to its ethical principles in the future.

However, the bank has moved to reassure customers that its ethical foundations will be enshrined into its constitution going forwards.

Further damaging the bank's reputation was a film released about two weeks ago by the Mail on Sunday that allegedly showed the bank's former chairman buying illegal drugs.

Mr Flowers has since been arrested, leading Chancellor George Osborne to announce a full-scale review into the bank to investigate events leading up to the discovery of its £1.5 billion shortfall and the appointment of Mr Flowers.

What Next?

Find the best bank account for you

Disclaimer: Information is correct as of the date of publication (shown at the top of this article). Any products featured may be withdrawn by their provider or changed at any time.

Related Articles

Current account switching to be made even easier

It was announced today that the Current Account Switch Service (CASS) will be undergoing improvements that are to be implemented in a year’s time. This should help give more customers and businesses the confidence to switch to a better bank account.

A quarter of all card payments now contactless

The rise of contactless payments shows no signs of stopping, with new milestones being hit on a seemingly monthly basis. Well, another one has arrived, with new data showing that a quarter of all card payments are now made via contactless means.

6 of the best high interest current accounts

At one time, savings accounts were the only sensible place to put your hard-earned cash if you wanted a meaningful return, but unfortunately, that's no longer the case.
 
Close