Govt to investigate Co-op Bank - Banking - News - Moneyfacts

News

Moneyfacts.co.uk News brings you the latest financial & economic news & reviews of the best products in the UK by our team of money experts.

Govt to investigate Co-op Bank

Govt to investigate Co-op Bank

Category: Banking

Updated: 25/11/2013
First Published: 25/11/2013

MONEYFACTS ARCHIVE
This article was correct at the time of publication. It is now over 6 months old so the content may be out of date.

Chancellor George Osborne has announced that the Government will be launching an independent investigation to find out exactly what went on at the Co-operative Bank in the run-up to the discovery of its £1.5 billion capital shortfall as well as the appointment of former chairman Paul Flowers, who was arrested last week over drug allegations.

The beleaguered bank has found itself in the headlines for all the wrong reasons over the last few months.

In June the bank was found to be facing a capital shortfall of £1.5 billion, with the initial rescue plan to fill this hole rejected by the bank's investors and shareholders.

A second restructuring plan has since been announced, but this has yet to be voted on, and will see The Co-operative Group only retain a 30% share in the bank, with the remaining 70% going to investors and bondholders, a large majority of which are made up a consortium of hedge funds.

As part of this proposed deal, the bank's branch network will be cut by 15%, while there are also concerns that the bank risks losing its ethical and co-operative foundations.

But the bank has moved to reassure customers that this will not be the case, saying that its ethics and values will be written into its new guidelines going forwards.

Last week the bank again found itself in the spotlight after Flowers was filmed by the Mail on Sunday buying illegal drugs. Flowers has since been arrested by the police over the allegations.

The Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority also confirmed today that they will be launching their own separate investigations into the Co-op Bank over the coming weeks.

Disclaimer: Information is correct as of the date of publication (shown at the top of this article). Any products featured may be withdrawn by their provider or changed at any time.

Related Articles

Debit card spending still leads the way

Many of us turn to plastic at the tills these days, particularly as contactless technology makes it easier than ever before. It’s little wonder that card spending continues to ramp up – and it’s debit card spending that’s leading the way.

Current account switching to be made even easier

It was announced today that the Current Account Switch Service (CASS) will be undergoing improvements that are to be implemented in a year’s time. This should help give more customers and businesses the confidence to switch to a better bank account.

A quarter of all card payments now contactless

The rise of contactless payments shows no signs of stopping, with new milestones being hit on a seemingly monthly basis. Well, another one has arrived, with new data showing that a quarter of all card payments are now made via contactless means.
 
Close