Insurance reassurance for riot victims - Home insurance - News - Moneyfacts

News News brings you the latest financial & economic news & reviews of the best products in the UK by our team of money experts.

Insurance reassurance for riot victims

Insurance reassurance for riot victims

Category: Home insurance

Updated: 09/08/2011
First Published: 09/08/2011

This article was correct at the time of publication. It is now over 6 months old so the content may be out of date.

Homeowners and business people who have had their property damaged during the riots of the past few days should be covered by their insurance policies.

The British Insurance Brokers' Association (BIBA) has advised those people unfortunate enough to be affected by the recent riots around the UK to speak to their insurance broker as soon as possible so they can assist with their loss.

The association said most home insurance policies should cover people for fire, looting or damage.

Many policies might also cover people for alternative accommodation costs if they cannot stay in their home.

BIBA added that commercial insurance policies will normally cover businesses for damage to their premises, including any financial loss resulting from the interruption to their business.

Some policies will also cover those businesses which are not damaged, but whose trade is affected by the aftermath.

"We want to do everything we can to help those affected," said Graeme Trudgill, BIBA's head of corporate affairs.

"It is important for people to contact their insurance broker to arrange for immediate help and support and to make the affected property as secure as possible."

Steve Foulsham, BIBA's technical services manager, added that the majority of insurance providers operate a 24 hour claims line.

"This can help people arrange for emergency repairs and the damage to be inspected as quickly as possible."

The AA has confirmed riot and civil commotion are risks included in all its customers' home insurance policies.

It added that the accidental damage section of its customers' comprehensive car insurance policy will cover a car damaged or written off during the rioting.

Compare insurance providers

Disclaimer: Information is correct as of the date of publication (shown at the top of this article). Any products featured may be withdrawn by their provider or changed at any time.

Related Articles

Moneyfacts Home Insurance Star Ratings announced

If you’re looking for a new home insurance policy, you want it to be one you can trust, with the features you need and a level of service you can rely on. Sometimes knowing where to start can be easier said than done, so we’re here to help.

Where will you see in the New Year?

Christmas may have been and gone, but there’s another celebration that’s hot on its heels: New Year’s Eve! The question is, where will you be celebrating? And, perhaps more importantly, how much will you be spending?

Is your home ready for the cold snap?

Today marks the official start of winter, and forecasters are warning that it could get even colder in the weeks ahead with the Met Office predicting the coldest winter for five years. Is your home ready for it?