Refused CI claims halve - Life insurance - News - Moneyfacts

News

Refused CI claims halve

Refused CI claims halve

Category: Life insurance

Updated: 26/11/2012
First Published: 27/03/2009

MONEYFACTS ARCHIVE
This article was correct at the time of publication. It is now over 6 months old so the content may be out of date.

AEGON Scottish Equitable has revealed it declined just 9 per cent of critical illness claims last year, half the number it turned down in 2007.

Of those claims that were refused, 41 per cent were as a result of non-disclosure, where the customer had failed to reveal important information at the policy's outset, while the remaining 59 per cent were due to the definition of the critical illness not being met.

Helen Morris, technical claims manager, said the insurer had changed its approach to claims handling after new ABI guidance on the treatment of non-disclosure was issued in January 2008 and had also been working closely with IFAs to improve their understanding of the area.

Moneyfacts.co.uk have partnered with Torquil Clark Life Insurance to help you find the best life insurance deal.

Speak to an adviser about your life insurance needs

Under no circumstances should you cancel an existing life insurance policy until a new one has been arranged. Torquil Clark Life Insurance is a trading name of LifePolicies Direct Ltd which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

Disclaimer: Information is correct as of the date of publication (shown at the top of this article). Any products featured may be withdrawn by their provider or changed at any time.

Related Articles

51% of women lack a financial safety net

A new study has found that for 28% of women, the inability to support themselves or their families financially is their greatest financial fear. And yet, 51% of women have no form of protection against financial curveballs.

Lack of life insurance raises alarm bells

Many of us realise that we should have life insurance, yet far too few actually take the plunge and invest in a policy. This could be a big mistake, as failing to have sufficient protection could put your family’s finances in jeopardy.

Risks of the heart

One person dies from heart disease every minute in the UK, resulting in 425 deaths a day and making cardiovascular disease Britain’s number one killer. This is according to the BHF, which found that heart diseases account for 26% of deaths.
 
Close