Are you too embarrassed to haggle? - Money - News - Moneyfacts

News

Are you too embarrassed to haggle?

Are you too embarrassed to haggle?

Category: Money

Updated: 25/02/2016
First Published: 25/02/2016

MONEYFACTS ARCHIVE
This article was correct at the time of publication. It is now over 6 months old so the content may be out of date.

We're often told that the key to securing the best deal on anything from broadband packages to insurance policies is to haggle, but unfortunately, the subtle art of negotiation is something that many of us don't feel comfortable indulging in. In fact, research from TopCashback has revealed that less than a third of us regularly challenge prices, but this could mean we end up paying far more than we need to…

Brits are too bashful

The survey found that, even though 75% of respondents dislike paying the full price for an item, just 30% of consumers regularly negotiate during a purchase. This means that the remaining 70% never or only occasionally haggle, but as a result, they could have missed out on £415 in the past year alone.

Embarrassment is by far the biggest barrier when it comes to haggling, cited by 73% of respondents, while 37% don't try to negotiate for fear that the retailer won't respond well to them challenging the cost. Even those who do take the plunge and try to secure a cheaper deal aren't confident in their ability, with 45% thinking they don't haggle effectively.

"British consumers are renowned for being quite reserved, so it's no surprise self-consciousness often prevents them from challenging the given price," said Natasha Rachel Smith of TopCashback.co.uk. "However, it's important people don't let this get in the way of them achieving the best possible deal."

Haggling made easy

For those brave enough to take the plunge, the rewards could be worth it. The figures show that 60% of hagglers try to strike up a bargain for big ticket items (such as a car), while 58% look to secure a cheaper price when an item is damaged. Another 74% employ their skills when renewing existing contracts for mobile phones, broadband and TV packages, and 67% do the same with insurance policies, and the savings could well add up.

But just how can you go about it? Well, 73% of successful hagglers ask for things to be thrown in for free, while 56% offer a lower price than the item is worth in the hope that the retailer will meet them in the middle. Other popular tactics to securing a saving include never taking the first offer (52%), offering to pay in cash (30%) and picking quieter times to shop (20%), while 13% of respondents offer to buy items in bulk to reduce prices.

Get a better deal

The survey went on to reveal that 53% of respondents are driven to negotiate because they want to secure the lowest cost possible, while 22% think that if you don't ask you don't get – which, in most cases, is completely true. Failing to ask for a lower price means you're almost guaranteed to be stuck paying the higher price, but if you take the plunge and try to haggle, you may be able to shave a few pounds off your purchase. Besides, what have you got to lose?

What next?

Compare utility providers and broadband packages

Want to secure a better deal without needing to haggle? Check out our voucher section for ready-made discounts

Disclaimer: Information is correct as of the date of publication (shown at the top of this article). Any products featured may be withdrawn by their provider or changed at any time.

Related Articles

Would you spend more for a character property?

We all have our own ideas of what makes a dream home, and for many, character features are at the top of the list. But how much more would you be willing to pay for those kinds of additions – and could they even help you save money in the future?

A quarter of Brits have fallen victim to a scam

Think you know how to spot a scam? It may not be as easy as you’d think, with 25% of Brits admitting that they’ve been the victim of one in the past, and a further 73% are concerned about being scammed in the future.

Brits’ bad spending habits revealed

Many of us like to think that we’re good with money, yet there are often things that get in the way of regular saving and financial security. Solution Loans has taken a look, and has identified the bad spending habits that leave us in the red.
 
Close