Workers warned over tax code problem - Money - News - Moneyfacts


Workers warned over tax code problem

Workers warned over tax code problem

Category: Money

Updated: 15/04/2010
First Published: 15/04/2010

This article was correct at the time of publication. It is now over 6 months old so the content may be out of date.
Workers have been urged to take extra care when checking their April payslips, to make sure they are paying the correct amount of tax.

HMRC has admitted that some workers might not have sent the same PAYE code number as the one sent to their employer or pension provider for the 2010/11 tax year.

Although work by HMRC to resolve the problem is under way, the Low Incomes Tax Reform Group (LITRG) says that the first opportunity many people will have to check whether they have been affected is when the April payrolls are processed.

Those people who do not normally get payslips when they are paid have been told to take particular care.

Problems might potentially have occurred because:

• incorrect codes have been received but not understood by employees and pensioners, and therefore not put right; or
• new codes have not been issued in cases where there should have been a change; or
• the individual has received a code but their employer or pension provider has not received one (or not the same one) and therefore deducts an unexpected amount of tax.

People who check their coding notices and either do not understand them or think they might be wrong, have been told to contact HMRC as soon as possible.

Likewise, those people who do not receive a coding notice for each pension and/or job should also phone HMRC and ask for one.

People happy that their code is correct have been told to check that the same code number is being used by their employer or pension provider.

Pensioners who do not receive a regular payslip from their pension company have been told to call them to check what code they are using.

Another option for those without a payslip is to check their bank statements to see how much they have been paid in April.

An unexpected and substantial change from the previous month is a good indicator that there has been an error.

The number on which to contact HMRC is 0845 3000 627.

Find the best pension for you - compare pensions.

Disclaimer: Information is correct as of the date of publication (shown at the top of this article). Any products featured may be withdrawn by their provider or changed at any time.

Related Articles

A quarter of Brits have fallen victim to a scam

Think you know how to spot a scam? It may not be as easy as you’d think, with 25% of Brits admitting that they’ve been the victim of one in the past, and a further 73% are concerned about being scammed in the future.

Brits’ bad spending habits revealed

Many of us like to think that we’re good with money, yet there are often things that get in the way of regular saving and financial security. Solution Loans has taken a look, and has identified the bad spending habits that leave us in the red.

Growing fears that inflation could impact wallets

We’ve all heard reports that the cost of food and petrol could increase in the next few months, together with the threat of rising inflation, and it seems that these concerns are beginning to take their toll on the nation’s consumers.