Extended leave? Check your Home Insurance - Home insurance - News | moneyfacts.co.uk


Moneyfacts.co.uk News brings you the latest financial & economic news & reviews of the best products in the UK by our team of money experts.

Extended leave? Check your Home Insurance

Extended leave? Check your Home Insurance

Category: Home insurance

Updated: 27/11/2012
First Published: 12/01/2009

This article was correct at the time of publication. It is now over 6 months old so the content may be out of date.

According to Sainsbury's Home Insurance, around 1.7million of the over-55's will be leaving the country this year for at least 30 days, in the search for warmer weather.

Sainsbury's Home Insurance warns those who are thinking of an extended break to check the small print on their insurance policy, as more than a third of policies only cover up to 30 days "unoccupancy".

Visiting family and friends are the main reason people look to leave the UK, followed by the search for warmer weather. For the under-24's, the lure of backpacking or travelling is the motivation to leave these shores.

Sainsbury's Home Insurance Manager, Neil Laird: "Anyone who is considering taking an extended trip away from home, therefore leaving it unoccupied, needs to inform their home insurance provider and check that they are still covered by their policy whilst they are away. This really is essential and even applies if you have arranged for a friend or neighbour to keep an eye on the house."

Disclaimer: Information is correct as of the date of publication (shown at the top of this article). Any products featured may be withdrawn by their provider or changed at any time.