Holidays 4U – know your rights - Travel insurance - News |

News News brings you the latest financial & economic news & reviews of the best products in the UK by our team of money experts.

Holidays 4U – know your rights

Holidays 4U – know your rights

Category: Travel insurance

Updated: 26/11/2012
First Published: 04/08/2011

This article was correct at the time of publication. It is now over 6 months old so the content may be out of date.

The collapse of travel firm Holidays 4U has affected thousands of people at home and abroad.

The Brighton based company that provided trips to Turkey went bust earlier this week and was placed in administration.

An estimated 12,000 people who bought a holiday through the company are currently abroad, with up to 50,000 others left with bookings.

For those abroad

Efforts are being made to ensure that holidaymakers can stay in their hotels until they are due to return to the UK . Those who are forced to pay extra should keep a record of all their costs and present them to the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) when they return home, as reasonable refund requests will be considered. All Holiday 4U customers should return home on their planned flight.

Those who booked their holiday in full through Holidays 4U should receive a full refund thorough the Air Travel Organiser Licensing (ATOL) scheme.

People who only booked their flight through Holidays 4U will have to contact the travel agent that sold them accommodation.

Concerned Holidays 4U customers currently abroad can contact the CAA on 0044 444 5810 to discuss their situation. A refund form can also be found on the organisation's website.

For those at home

People who have booked a holiday through Holidays 4U should not attempt to go to the airport as trips have been cancelled.

People should speak to their travel agents as they will be covered by the ATOL scheme if they booked the full package through Holidays 4U, in which case your booking will be refunded by the CAA.

People who only booked their flight through Holidays 4U will have to contact the travel agent that sold them accommodation as this will not be covered by ATOL.

Those who have booked to the tune of more £100 than on a credit card should contact their credit card provider as they are entitled to a refund under the terms of the Consumer Credit Act. Purchases of less than £100 may be able to be clawed back through Chargeback – a voluntary scheme operated by Visa and MasterCard.

Consumers who paid for their holiday on a Visa debit card will also be covered by the Chargeback scheme and should contact their card issuer, who will look to secure a refund.

Affected customers who are unable to secure a refund should contact the Financial Ombudsman.

For those who still want a holiday

Speak with your travel agent as they may be able to book you a holiday to another destination for the same value.

Compare travel insurance providers

Disclaimer: Information is correct as of the date of publication (shown at the top of this article). Any products featured may be withdrawn by their provider or changed at any time.