Tax on buy-to-let property and income

Tax on buy-to-let property and income

Category: Buy To Let

Updated: 14/07/2015
First Published: 01/08/2013

Buy-to-let is an increasingly attractive investment in the UK, and for many, property has a unique physical appeal that shares and investment funds just can't match.

But buy-to-let (BTL) investing is subject to several taxes, whether you own a single property or 100.

There are four taxes that your investment in a BTL property will possibly incur:

Stamp Duty

Income Tax

Capital Gains Tax

Inheritance Tax

Stamp duty on buy-to-let

Stamp duty is a tax you pay when you buy a property in the UK. It's set in tiers depending on the price of the property.

Stamp Duty Rates

£0 - £125,000


£125,001 - £250,000


£250,001 - £925,000


£925,001 - £1,500,000


Over £1,500,000


Changes to stamp duty which came into effect in 2014 mean that this tax is now charged at the rate applying to each level.

For example:

If you bought a property for £300,000 you'd pay the following stamp duty:

  • On the first £125,000 – Nil
  • On the amount from £125,001 to £250,000 - £2,499.98
  • On the Next £50,000 - £2,500

Making a total of £4.999.98.

Stamp duty rates are no different if you're buying your own home or a BTL property.

"Stamp duty is a one-off tax. That means that if you decide to rent out your home (because you can't sell it or you're moving in with a partner), you wouldn't have to pay it again as a buy-to-let landlord on the same property."

Income tax on buy-to-let

The income you receive as rent is taxable. You need to declare any rent you receive as part of your Self Assessment tax return. The tax on your income is then charged in accordance with your income tax banding (20% for basic rate taxpayers, 40% for higher rate, and 45% for additional rate).

However, you can minimise the tax you have to pay by deducting certain "allowable expenses" from your taxable rental income. Allowable expenses include:

  • Rents, rates, insurance, ground rents etc
  • Property repairs and maintenance
  • Interest on buy-to-let mortgages and other finance charges
  • Legal, management and other professional fees such as letting agency
  • Other property expenses including buildings insurance premiums

The Summer Budget 2015 has reduced the amount of tax relief that is available for interest on buy-to-let mortgages. Before that, landlords paying higher (40%) or additional (45%) rate tax could claim tax relief at their highest rate, but the Budget changes mean that tax relief can only be reclaimed at the basic rate (20%), whatever rate of tax the landlord pays.

So, if you're a landlord who only pays basic rate tax, this change won't affect you, but if you pay at 40% or 45%, you'll be losing out.

Another change is the removal of the "wear and tear" allowance. Previously, a landlord could claim 10% of their rent as tax relief for wear and tear, but this is no longer the case. Instead, the allowance is being be replaced by a system that only allows landlords to claim tax relief when they replace furnishings.

If you're in any way unsure, an accountant can help you make the most of your allowable deductions so that you don't pay more tax than you have to. And don't worry – accountant's fees are tax deductable too!

One peculiar thing about rental income is that it doesn't qualify as income for pensions purposes. So if all your income is from renting property, you would not benefit from tax relief on your pension contributions as you can with most income. Income from a furnished holiday let,, however, does qualify!

HM Revenue and Customs requires you to keep a record of your income and expenses as a buy-to-let landlord for at least six years.

Capital gains tax on buy-to-let

Capital gains tax is payable when you sell a buy-to-let property at a profit from when you bought it. It isn't payable if you make a loss.

You get an annual tax-free allowance of capital gains that you can make each tax year, before capital gains tax is charged. This allowance for tax year 2015/16 is £11,100.

If you've sold a buy-to-let property, you'll need to declare this on your tax return. Capital gains tax is charged at 18% or 28% of the profit (depending on the taxable income and total capital gains you've made over the year). Again, a furnished holiday let may attract a lower 10% rate of CGT due to 'Entrepreneurs Relief' that applies to selling certain businesses.

If you've made a loss on a buy-to-let property sold in a previous year, you may be able to use this loss to reduce your capital gains bill. Similarly, you are able to deduct some expenses you've incurred in buying, selling or improving the property:

  • Solicitor's fees
  • Estate agent's fees
  • Costs involved in advertising the property for sale
  • Costs incurred in increasing the property's value (improvements, but not maintenance or general upkeep costs)
  • Stamp duty

Inheritance tax on buy-to-let

Not nice to think about, but very important to plan for, is inheritance tax. Your buy-to-let properties (or property) form part of your estate for inheritance tax purposes.

If an individual's estate exceeds £325,000 (or up to £650,000 for married couples or civil partners), inheritance tax is charged at 40% on everything above this threshold (other than on estates passing to the spouse or civil partner which are free of inheritance tax).

You may qualify for Business Relief if your buy-to-let portfolio was run as a business. This will depend on a number of factors.

A good accountant may be able to help you reduce your exposure to inheritance tax.

Guide Updated: 10/07/15

What next?

Compare the best buy-to-let mortgages

Speak to a specialist buy-to-let mortgage adviser

Disclaimer: This information is intended solely to provide guidance and is not financial advice. Moneyfacts will not be liable for any loss arising from your use or reliance on this information. If you are in any doubt, Moneyfacts recommends you obtain independent financial advice.

Related Articles

BTL: Have you considered the investment risks?

Buy-to-let is enjoying a bit of renaissance: more mortgages available, higher rental yields and high demand. But have you considered the investment risks?

Landlord Rights - What to do about bad tenants

What are your landlord rights? Find out what measures to take before renting out your property as well as where you stand with problem tenants.

The guide to buy-to-let mortgages

Whether you’re a newbie to buy-to-let, or a seasoned investor, one of the most important things when it comes to managing your property or portfolio of properties, is to understand how buy-to-let mortgages work.
Free Mortgage Advice
Our partner, Premier Financial Group will search the market and advise you on the best residential or buy to let mortgage deal to meet your needs.
Tel: 0800 193 6644
Lines are open 8am to 8pm, Monday to Friday
" … could not have done more for us and went above and beyond to make sure we were happy with the service. Polite, professional and efficient is an understatement.”
- Matthew, Norwich
For more information on Premier Financial Group and the mortgage advice service please click here.